© Copyright 2022 IAS – the International AIDS Society
Contact us at [email protected]
Regular and late-breaker scholarship applications are now closed
This year, we received a record number of over 11,000 applications. A total of 1,610 people received an AIDS 2022 scholarship, of whom 883 will attend in person and 727 virtually.
The programme supports individuals who contribute to the conference programme, as well as applicants who can demonstrate that they will transfer the skills and knowledge acquired at the conference to the work they undertake in their own organizations and communities.
We are not accepting more applications at this point.
- End of April 2022: All regular scholarship applicants were notified about their result
- End of June 2022: Late-breaker applicants will be notified about the status of their application
Types of support
We offer the following types of support:
- Registration for the conference (includes access to all sessions at the conference venue, as well as access to the virtual platform)
- Travelsupport (pre-paid economy class return ticket from the nearest international airport)
- Accommodation (single room in a student accommodation)
- Daily living allowance for the duration of the conference
Applicants who were awarded an in-person scholarship are strongly encouraged to ensure that they comply with the Government of Canada’s entry requirements, as well as COVID-19 travel regulations. This includes vaccination mandates and other measures for travelling to Canada. Please check our immigration page for up-to-date information on this.
We offer the following support:
- Registration for virtual attendance of the conference (full online access to all conference sessions, including virtual networking sessions)
- Accessibility support for virtual attendance (subject to availability, applicants with connectivity challenges can receive a SIM card, data package or device to facilitate access to the online content of the conference).
Who was eligible for a scholarship?
The AIDS 2022 Scholarship Programme is open to anyone working or volunteering in the area of HIV and who is at least 16 years old on 27 July 2022. All selected recipients demonstrated that they will transfer the skills and knowledge acquired at the conference to the work they undertake in their own organization and community.
Priority was given to:
- Abstract presenters, workshop facilitators and organizers of Global Village and Youth Programme activities whose submission has been selected for the conference
- Applicants from lower-income countries
- Applicants who belong to key populations and people living with HIV
- Young people and junior investigators below the age of 35
- Applicants who did not previously receive a scholarship for an International AIDS Conference
I submitted a late-breaker abstract and ticked the box that I want to apply for a scholarship. If I receive a scholarship, what support will I receive?
We have a limited number of scholarships available for late-breaker abstract presenters. If you receive a scholarship, we will support you with travel, accommodation, registration and daily living allowance.
I received a scholarship linked to an abstract, workshop or Global Village and Youth Programme activity for the conference, but I can no longer attend. What should I do?
If the presenting author, facilitator or organizer changes, the scholarship is cancelled unless a request is made to transfer the grant to the new presenting author, facilitator or organizer. The deadline to request a scholarship transfer is 30 June 2022.
If the submitter or presenter(s) withdraws an abstract, workshop or activity from presentation, the scholarship is cancelled.
What happens if I can no longer travel to the conference?
Recipients who have received a scholarship for in-person attendance but who can no longer travel should notify the Scholarship team as soon as possible. The deadline to request a change from in-person attendance to virtual attendance is 30 June 2022.
I am a scholarship recipient and received travel support, but the travel agent has not contacted me. What should I do?
Your details have already been forwarded to our travel agency. With over 600 recipients requiring bookings, we are currently prioritizing people whose visa application process takes the longest.
Please check your inbox and especially your spam folder regularly. You will receive a flight offer as soon as possible.
I am a scholarship recipient and received accommodation support. Where will I stay and how do I get the booking confirmation?
We have pre-reserved enough rooms for all our scholarship recipients who received accommodation support. The details are included in your award letter; we do not offer any other document/s as proof. You will be contacted soon regarding the room allocation.
I am a scholarship recipient and need proof of my award. How can I go about this?
Your award letter is ready for download in your conference account. If any personal information in your letter is wrong, please change the information directly in your account by clicking on your own name in the upper right corner and then on “user account”. Log out and back in and re-download your corrected award letter.
I am a scholarship recipient for in-person attendance. How do I get my letter of invitation/registration letter?
Please register through your conference account. Please indicate that you need a letter of invitation on the second page of the form. Once submitted, our registration team will send you the letter separately from the confirmation. This may take up to three working days.
I have trouble logging into my conference account or have another technical issue. What can I do?
Please contact our IT Helpdesk at [email protected].
I am an IAS Scholarship recipient and I applied for a visa to go to the conference. How do I get the costs reimbursed?
The IAS covers visa processing costs (the cost of submitting the application and the biometric information) for scholarship recipients. If you attend the conference in person, please bring your receipts with you to the scholarship desk. If you are not able to attend in person, please contact the scholarship team after the conference with scanned copies of your receipts.
Contact and questions
We are happy to answer any additional questions you may have; contact us at [email protected].
© Copyright 2022 IAS – the International AIDS Society